Omaezaki?

Ed

Dec 1, 2005, 2:11:35 AM12/1/05
I heard that the season is Nov-March. What is the likelihood of getting
a session mid-December there? Chance for waves? How do I get current
conditions? Anywhere to rent gear? How long to get to from Tokyo and
what train do I take? Anywhere to stay in the area?

Thanks.

-Ed

Glenn Woodell

Dec 2, 2005, 6:50:55 AM12/2/05
I passed your post along to a buddy of mine who spent a couple of
years here recently. He sent this for you...

Glenn

From Chris:

"I heard that the season is Nov-March.

#####Yes, extending into April though.

What is the likelihood of
getting
a session mid-December there?

#####Sideshore 4.2-5.8 almost every day. Temps 45-60 deg F Water temp
barefoot warm, but you will want a thick steamer, gloves, and hood on
the extreme days. I rig wearing shorts though.

Chance for waves?

####It's not Maui, but wind swell becoming Victory At Sea conditions
on the outside as it goes 4.2.

How do I get
current
conditions?

####Forecasts:
http://mws.wni.co.jp/cww/docs/tsuri/fis50007.html
If your computer (and you) do not read Japanese; look for the green or
red arrows. (Red means its 3.5 so forget it)
Also, windsurfer specific forecast at
http://www4.plala.or.jp/shop_iwamoto/weather/frame-page.htm
scroll down the left side frame to the dates. 4 or 5 stars and you be
sailin.
current and recent photos at
www.jwavers.com
and
http://www4.plala.or.jp/shop_iwamoto/omaezaki_condition.htm
top photo is current, scroll down for recent days

Anywhere to rent gear?
#####There is shop Iwamoto whose site I have listed, but they dont
really rent. Try this other shop near Lake Hamanako in Hamamatsu City:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/winds171/
and if waves are not your thing, then you can sail the same wind on
this big shallow salt lake.

Another option is to rent gear from the shops in Kanagawa Prefecture
south of Tokyo to take with you. See my article at
http://www.outdoorjapan.com/activities/activities-windsurfing-introduction.html

How long to get to from Tokyo

####Driving: 4 hours and $50 in tolls each way. Tomei expressway to
Yoshida and then rt 150 to the Omaezaki Peninsula. The windsurfing is
on the south facing beaches. Make it 5 hours and $60 if you drive all
the way to Hamamatsu City.
Not going to drive expressway? Fahgetaboutit.

and
what train do I take?

####Tokaido Line Shinkansen from Tokyo Station: One hour to Hamatsu
city. Rent a car there. Budget train; take any Tokaido Line train and
just keep transfering to another westrbound Tokaido line train when
yours reaches its last station. Get off at Yaizu and rent a car.About
4-5 hours. I would not do it that way though.

Anywhere to stay in the area?"

#### There are many MINSYUKYU )(bed and breakfast) places around the
cape and the lighthouse. This is the off-season, so rates are about
$25/night/person or $35 with breakfast. You will probably eat dinner
with all the new friends that you make on the beach. There is a big
visitors tourist center under the wind turbines near the cape. Look
for the patrol boat on display in front of the building and get
lodging info inside.
WHAT NO ONE TELLS YOU: Omaezaki is not just trecherous and rocky "Long
Beach" near the Cape. For the next thirty miles westward its just an
expanse of sandy, windy beaches. Drive west from the cape, go to the
top of the dune, and look for sails (or kites) and go there. I pick
places to sail that have sheltered rigging and a fresh water supply.
There will be litterally HUNDREDS of people sailing from various
points on any given winter weekend. Oh, and think Dougs Beach on a
crowded day. Dont get pissed about people sailing close to you. The
average Japanese windsurfer is very good, anyways. And the
girls.......look out guys!
Also, most 100-yen (dollar stores) shops sell detailed maps of the
various prefectures. Ask for help and buy some maps. You want
Kanagawa, and Shizuoka Prefectures.
Oh, and get an international drivers liscense from AAA before you come
over.
Bring your own suits and harness.

Ed

Dec 3, 2005, 2:47:31 AM12/3/05
Cool. When your friend says "it's not Maui" does he mean that they get
no real (i.e. long period) swell, and is there any real wavesailing? Or
it is just inland sea wind swell?

Bummer that you need to rent a car there. Sound prohibitive, but thanks
for the info.

-Ed

WARDOG

Dec 3, 2005, 5:41:18 AM12/3/05
Ed wrote:
>> Cool. When your friend says "it's not Maui" does he mean that they get
>> no real (i.e. long period) swell, and is there any real wavesailing? Or
>> it is just inland sea wind swell?

Hi Ed,
It's always looked kinda blown out and beach breaky in the footage that
I've seen...I've seen incredible surfing shots in the Japanese surfing
mags...I think mostly from Typhoon swells...

Surfing info for wave spots...
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Asia/Japan/index.html
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Asia/Japan/Shizuoka/index.html

Scroll down to Shizuoka Prefecture...
http://www.outdoorjapan.com/activities/activities-windsurfing-areaguide.html

"Omaezaki is famous for the area's consistent side shore westerly winds
during the winter. The season is November through April. Summertime will
see occasional wind too, especially if a typhoon passes in just the
right track to bring sailable conditions. A typical winter windsurfing
day at Omaezaki will be sunny with small-to-head high waves,
barefoot-warm water with air temps in the 40's to 50's (F). Wind can
range from 5.8 to 3.7m2"

Sean Ordonez just emailed me from Japan...he's there getting his new
waveboards and stand up paddleboards dialed in...
http://surfingsports.com/images/sean_ordonez_shapes.jpg

Sounds like stand up paddle surfing is really starting to take off there...

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com

Brian M.

Dec 3, 2005, 7:33:36 AM12/3/05
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:41:18 -0800, WARDOG
<war...@XXXsurfingsports.com> wrote:

>Sean Ordonez just emailed me from Japan...he's there getting his new
>waveboards and stand up paddleboards dialed in...
>http://surfingsports.com/images/sean_ordonez_shapes.jpg

Just curious. Is there any reason he is testing in Japan as opposed
to Maui (where I thought he normally shaped)?

Is there anything that can be revealed about his new wave boards at
this time? Similar to the EVOs or UWs style for real world
conditions?

Bri

WARDOG

Dec 3, 2005, 10:18:01 AM12/3/05
Brian M. wrote:
>> Just curious. Is there any reason he is testing in Japan as opposed
>> to Maui (where I thought he normally shaped)?

Demand is a consideration...and lack of Winter wind is kinda like Tiger
sharks...nobody talks about it...;-)

psssssssttt...http://mauiwind.blogspot.com

> It's that time of year when windsurfing on Maui gets kinda rare. You get it a half dozen to a dozen days a month if you're lucky.

> Thursday, December 01, 2005
> November Fizzles Out
>
> Maui windsuring in November this year started great with nearly two full weeks of daily wind. For nearl the last two weeks however, we've had no sailable wind. And, as we head into December today, the lack of wind continues. It's been a frustrating weather pattern, lots of clouds, cooler temperatures, rain - not what you typically associate with a tropical paradise. Latest forecasts discussions hint that there might be some trades mid to late next week, but until then, no windsurfing on Maui.

> Sunday, November 27, 2005
> Rain
> It's a rainy Sunday morning here on Maui, not the picturesque conditions most people associate with Hawaii. This whole week we've been under the influence of a parade of cold fronts marching across the island chain. That cuts off the trades, turns out winds out of the south and brings rain and showers.

> Wednesday, November 23, 2005
>
> Aloha everyone. Sorry about the lack of reports the last few days, but there has been no wind, and hence no windsurfing to report.

Meanwhile in Cali...another raging day on tap here...already cranking
this A.M. down in the channel...

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNW ( 330 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 33.5 mph
Wind Gust (GST): 38.0 mph
Wave Height (WVHT): 9.2 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 11 sec
Average Period (APD): 6.8 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.14 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.03 in ( Rising )

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING

TODAY - NW WIND 20 TO 30 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER 35 KT. COMBINED SEAS 9
TO 12 FT WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 9 SECONDS.

TONIGHT - NW TO N WIND 20 TO 30 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER 35 KT...
LOWERING TO 15 TO 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 9 TO 11 FT WITH A
DOMINANT PERIOD OF 9 SECONDS.

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com

Brian M.

Dec 3, 2005, 12:01:09 PM12/3/05
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:18:01 -0800, WARDOG
<war...@XXXsurfingsports.com> wrote:
>Meanwhile in Cali...another raging day on tap here...already cranking
>this A.M. down in the channel...
>
>Wind Direction (WDIR): NNW ( 330 deg true )
>Wind Speed (WSPD): 33.5 mph
>Wind Gust (GST): 38.0 mph
>Wave Height (WVHT): 9.2 ft
>Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 11 sec
>Average Period (APD): 6.8 sec
>Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.14 in
>Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.03 in ( Rising )
>
>SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING
>
>TODAY - NW WIND 20 TO 30 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER 35 KT. COMBINED SEAS 9
>TO 12 FT WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 9 SECONDS.
>
>TONIGHT - NW TO N WIND 20 TO 30 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS OVER 35 KT...
>LOWERING TO 15 TO 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. COMBINED SEAS 9 TO 11 FT WITH A
>DOMINANT PERIOD OF 9 SECONDS.
>
>WARDOG

You lucky dawg! :-) Hopefully I'll get to score tomorrow.
Remember this is the best we can do, can't compete with that Cali wind
machine!

SUN
SW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.
A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

It goes into Monday, but unfortunately my I can't play hooky. Wish my
Freaks were here, but hey I'll lie in my bed since I wanted custom
colors!

Alan, Mark, et all.....you guys be around for Sunday? Lou, Z, Scott,
and myself will be at Corncake.

Bri

WARDOG

Dec 3, 2005, 12:38:17 PM12/3/05
Brian M. wrote:
> You lucky dawg! :-)

I believe that we help to make our "luck"...;-)

> Hopefully I'll get to score tomorrow.
> Remember this is the best we can do, can't compete with that Cali wind
> machine!
>
> SUN
> SW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.
> A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
>
> It goes into Monday, but unfortunately my I can't play hooky.

I sincerely hope that you score...good for the soul...your forecast
l@@ks good...

> Wish my
> Freaks were here, but hey I'll lie in my bed since I wanted custom
> colors!

Freakitis is a pandemic phenomenom...wait until you lay your
boomgrippers on those bad boyz...looks like still end of January time
frame for your customs...Jeff told me that the loft just moved...

I just sold my 4.5m2/5.0m2 to a guy who destroyed his sails in the
carnage last weekend at the J...got to replace them with new
colors...hope to get them wet today...

Went with the #127 on them...doesn't look like yours has made it on the
chart yet...

http://www.surfingsports.com/images/brian_mck_sf58.jpg

I do see several of our other client's custom color designs on there...

http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2006/superfreakcolors.php

http://www.surfingsports.com/hot_sails.asp

Have fun...big Will just called...he's all fired up to get some on him
today...saddle up...LET"S RIDE!!!

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com

WARDOG

Dec 6, 2005, 10:46:44 AM12/6/05
Brian M. wrote:
> Hopefully I'll get to score tomorrow.

Hey Bri,
How did you guys do?
Hope you scored...
We had a fun and playful 5.0m2 sesh at the J...a little more relaxing
than the weekend before...;-)
Only had time to snap a few before we hit it...

http://surfingsports.com/jalama_december/index.html

I passed on a couple of days of pretty windy...but, gusty...port tack,
Santa Ana days...gorgeous, offshore, surfing weather now...but, another
shot of viento into the weekend...Mike C and Ed have been getting some
this week in the Baja...not much swell...but, decent wind...

WARDOG
http://surfingsports.com